Ministry published guidelines for re-opening of gymnasiums
The Peninsula Online
In line with the precautionary measures taken by Qatar to limit the spread of the coronavirus (Covid-19), the Ministry of Commerce and Industry (MoCI) announced the gradual lifting of restrictions at gymnasiums.
In line with the third phase, gymnasiums may resume their operations and activities.
All gymnasiums are expected to comply with the precautionary and preventive measures outlined by the Ministry of Public Health and the Ministry of Administrative Development, Labour and Social Affairs, and shall implement the following guidelines:
- To check and measure the temperature of clients on arrival. Individuals whose temperature exceeds 38 degrees Celsius may denied of entry.
- To allow customers entry only after checking the colour code identifying the client's health condition on the Ehteraz app. Only green code holders are allowed in.
- To prevent children under the age of 12 from entering the gym.
- To require clients to bring and use their own towels, personal hygiene kits, and drinking bottles.
- To require employees and clients to maintain a safe distance of no less than two metres from each other, except for family members. The area surrounding each fitness trainer must be at least nine square metres.
- To limit the occupancy rate to 50% of the gym's capacity.
- To encourage clients to pre-book online or by phone to participate in fitness sessions.
According to the Ministry, gyms must also comply with the following measures:
- Staff and employees in the gym must be subjected to regular coronavirus detection tests, according to the directives of the Ministry of Public Health.
- Employees aged 60 and above, in addition to pregnant women and individuals with chronic diseases, must work remotely.
- Sterile wipes, hand sanitisers and soap must be provided at all gym facilities.
- Complying with the directives of the Ministry of Public Health on Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning (HVAC) systems.
- Examining all facilities to ensure their cleanliness (including sports and fitness equipment, etc.) on a daily basis prior to opening the gym, in addition to sterilising and cleaning the equipment every two hours.
- Placing safe distance stickers on all floors of the gym.
- Locker keys must also be provided to the clients at the reception area. Employees must visibly sanitise all keys in front of the clients when handing them out and receiving them back.
- All gym facilities, including administrative offices, warehouses, employee housing, and transportation facilities, must be sanitized continuously.
Saunas, steam baths, jacuzzis, beauty and massage parlours, and indoor swimming pools will remain closed.
Gym owners are also obligated to implement the specific work guidelines in this regard. The instructions file can be downloaded in the given website: https://bit.ly/32RSyPv
This decision will be effective on July 28, 2020 (Tuesday) and may be subject to amendments and updates according to the latest developments in this regard. Any violation of this decision will subject perpetrators to legal accountability and procedures.
The Ministry also emphasized that the success of each stage of the comprehensive plan for the gradual lifting of restrictions depends on the adherence of all individuals to the required preventive and precautionary measures.